Life kicks like a mule sometimes

Life isn’t going that well for me at the moment. Wednesday I lost the job I’ve been at for almost three years. Originally when I took the job, I didn’t plan on being there that long. It was just something I could do while I went back to school for my Bachelors and then found something I’d like. Obviously, that plan crashed and burned.

I did manage to go back to school and get my Bachelors but my son was also diagnosed with Autism and my other child with some mental health issues. My time became split between work and doctor’s appointments. It was doubtful any new employer would work with my new time constraints, so I just stayed on where I was.

There were issues when I would have to suddenly leave because my son was having a meltdown at school or when I would be a few minutes late to work because my son didn’t sleep at all the night before so neither did I. I would still show up and do my job to the best of my ability but being a single parent of a special needs child, even one that is high functioning, takes its toll.

Then this past Winter everyone got the flu. I worked in a call center so the people there just passed it back and forth. This meant a lot of people were out sick when others decided simply not to show up. The powers that be were very unhappy about the sudden lack of employees showing up to work. Parents had to stay home with sick kids, myself included.

So a lot of people got written up, also myself included. Then in May, they implemented a new attendance policy. Zero tolerance. You got a certain number of sick hours and if you missed anytime outside of that you would be written up. Usually, if you are going to use vacation time or anything like that it has to be done in five-minute increments.

Fast forward to last week when I had one of those nights that my son didn’t sleep. Every fifteen minutes he was in my room needing a glass of milk or just to tell me he wasn’t feeling well, or couldn’t sleep. Every 15 minutes. I was ready to cry by the time the alarm went off the next morning. I had managed maybe an hour and a half of sleep and had to go spend the next 11 hours at work.

I made it to work on time but by lunch, I was the walking dead. My eyes burned and there was not enough coffee in the world. I was four minutes late back from lunch. Then my final break came around and I filled up my water bottle and went to the bathroom. These tasks don’t take long but somehow I was three minutes late back from that break.

The next day I received a message from my boss asking me to explain why I was four minutes late to work the previous Monday and why I was late from lunch and break the day before. I told the truth.  I could remember the previous Monday and the day before I was running on an hour and a half of sleep. It was 11 minutes spread over a two week period. I had been on time to and from everything else except for those few minutes.

However, I had previous write-ups. It takes a full year from the time of the write up for them to go away. So on Wednesday, right after leaving a med management appointment, I got a phone call letting me know they were terminating my employment. (By the way, my boss is one of the sweetest people on the planet. She was only doing what she was required to do by her bosses.)

I cried a lot but I have kids to take care of, so I set about getting them to and from their appointments. The next day I started the job search. Friday I took my son to therapy, which is about 45 minutes from where we live. On the way home the car tried to overheat.

I called my brother who couldn’t come immediately but did come over the next day along with my dad. The ruled out the water pump and the fan, finally coming to the conclusion that the head gasket needed to be replaced.  That isn’t a simple repair.

My brother thought, if I was careful, I might be able to make short trips around town but nothing more. Today I tried it out. It almost overheated on me twice. I got the car home by running the heater full blast. So now I have no job and a faulty car.

Fortunately, my bills are covered for the rest of this month, but next month is just around the corner. I am not sure what I am going to do. I have problems sitting idle. If you want to send good vibes or prayers my way feel free. I could use it.

Published by: thecoffeefox

Once upon a time there was a woman who was a writer. She was either cursed or blessed from birth to be so and there was much debate on which it was. One day a very discouraging (and not very original) person told her not to give up her day job. The woman smiled and said that was a wonderful idea. Following the unwittingly clever advice of her critic, the woman found a job working nights, which left her days free to write. Even better, the night job had an unusual schedule which packed two weeks worth of work into one, so the writer was able to have every other week off to sit on her front porch, daydream, and of course write. However, working at night and writing during the day left little time for sleep, so the poor writer occasionally went a little mad, but she decided it was an acceptable price to pay to be able to continue following her curse-blessing. Also she likes tea. :)

Categories Bad days and/ or nights, life, UncategorizedTags, , , , , , , 1 Comment

One thought on “Life kicks like a mule sometimes”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s