Phone, School, and Pocket Watch

weekSo if anyone has been paying attention, I didn’t really post on Monday. I did post a couple of links but that is supposed to be Wednesday’s shtick.   Surprise! This is going to be backwards week! 😀

Honestly, I was dead tired on Monday and any post I would have tried to make probably would not have been coherent.   I am exhausted right now too, but I know I don’t have to go to work tonight so that makes a difference.

These last two weeks have been more than hectic.  I mean worse than Gozilla meets Tokyo 1994 - God_020hectic.

I have two kids and school started last week.  The day before (1st day eve) I had to go to a parent/teacher meet and greet for my daughter.  On the way there I slammed my phone into the car door and destroyed it. (No. Not on purpose.)

mary-poppins-bagI don’t often carry a purse because I feel inclined to fill it with things.  I seem to think that any bag you carry around should be like the carpet bag from Mary Poppins, even if it is only the size of a small paper back.  On parent/teacher night I was trying to fake being  a responsible adult.  So that meant a little more than my usual jeans and witty t-shirts.  Which meant no pockets, so I had to carry a purse, that ended up getting caught between me and the car door and my phone was in the outside pocket.

It was dead. It was no more. The screen was cracked and black.  It would still ring and broken phonebeep whenever I received a text but I couldn’t answer or see anything.  It took me from then until Monday to get a new one.  I don’t own a home phone so I was unable to contact anyone (except by computer) for almost and entire week.

SchoolHouseThe 2nd day of school, (Day 1 went well except for the kids waking up a 4:15a.m. for some gawd forsaken reason…) they called to tell me my daughter was sick and needed to be picked up, except I didn’t get the message because my phone was broken.  Fortunately, they also called my mom when they received no response from me.

On the 3rd day I gave up on the idea of sleep to take my daughter to Mooch-in-the-Morningthe doctor.  She was running a fever and had a sore throat.  They ran tests, said that she probably just had a virus, and sent us home with the promise that they would call me when the results came in…except my phone was broken.

I did not realize how much of my every day life was so dependent on that small rectangular electronic device.  I couldn’t call and talk to anyone.  I couldn’t text.  Even if I did have a house phone, I wouldn’t have been able to call more that the four people whose number’s I have memorized.  For days my hand twitched as I started to reach into my pocket to check pocket watchthe time or my email.  I bought a pocket watch to at least keep track of the time and the email piled up and waited for me to get off work.  (Wrist watches don’t last long around me.)

But you know what?  The world didn’t end.  Sure it was inconvenient, but that was all. It also reminded of how important it is to have a back up of information. I am going to write down phone numbers and addresses from now on so that I will have a hard copy. I may even purchase a house phone.  Life goes on.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s